The Town of Norwood also assists its citizens with household curbside pick up of bulk items such as furniture and appliances. We also pick up leaves, limbs, and small yard waste. We suggest you place your items curbside any day of the week. Our crews go through the entire town at least once per week. If you believe your items have been out longer than necessary, please contact the Norwood Town Hall at (704) 474-3416.
The Norwood Town Council adopted a Solid Waste Ordinance at their August 5, 2019 regular meeting.
Some highlights of the ordinance:
- Residents are allowed up to four (4) cubic yards of household trash and/or four (4) cubic yards of yard waste per week.
- Owners of rental property shall be responsible for the removal and disposal of household trash and/or yard waste in excess of four cubic yards that has been placed at the street by tenants or former tenants. Violations are subject to immediate fine.
- Yard waste is collected one per week according to the zone in which the yard is located.
- The Town of Norwood does not collect driftwood.
- Loose leaves will be collected from October 1 through March 31. Bagged leaves will be collected year-round.
- The Town will not pick up construction material, electronics, hazardous waste, loose garbage, or contractor-cut limbs/yard waste.
- Illegal dumping on public rights-of-way (i.e. sidewalk) is punishable by an initial civil fine of $500 for the first day and continued violations of up to $250 per day.
- Violations of the town’s solid waste rules can result in an initial fine of $100 and up to $50 per additional day.
The Town of Norwood contracts with Waste Management to provide one roll-out cart per residence inside the town limits of Norwood. The cost for residential service is $11.00 per month. We also offer Small Commercial service with Waste Management; the cost of a Small Commercial roll-out cart is $14.00 per month. All trash must be placed inside the cart; Waste Management will not pick up any bags outside of the cart. If your cart is damaged, please call the Norwood Town Hall at (704) 474-3416 and we will contact Waste Management to have the cart repaired or replaced. Currently Waste Management provides curbside pick up of its roll out solid waste carts every Wednesday. In order to have your cart emptied, we recommend having your cart out Tuesday evening no earlier than 7:00 AM.