The Town of Norwood Council has approved designating a social district in downtown Norwood. The vote was passed on December 6th, 2021. This district, outlined below, will allow patrons of the downtown ABC permitted establishments to drink an alcoholic beverage on sidewalks and public areas in the social district. Norwood was able to designate this social district following legislation that was approved by the N.C. General Assembly earlier this month.
Several restrictions will be in place to ensure the downtown area remains a safe family-friendly destination.
- ABC permitted establishments must ensure they meet all legal requirements for carding and limiting consumption of alcoholic beverages. The establishment can only serve two beers/wine drinks or one liquor drink to one patron at a time.
- Drinks must be purchased and consumed within the boundaries of the Downtown Social District.
- Anyone with a drink in the designated Downtown Social District must throw away the drink before leaving the district.
- Drinks must be in specially labeled cups which will be sold by establishments in the Downtown Social District. They must be 16 ounces or less and designated clear cups.
- Drinks will only be allowed in the district from 10 a.m. to midnight Monday thru Sundays.
- Once the patron leaves the establishment with the drink container the patron cannot enter any other ABC licensed establishment in the downtown or a vehicle without discarding the drink.
- Any business without an ABC permit located in or contiguous to the designated social district has the option to participate, or not, in allowing customers with beverages to enter the premises. The establishments allowing patrons to enter with beverages will have a clear label in their window.
- Norwood Police Officers and ALE will enforce the restrictions of the Downtown Social District.
The new district will be effective once the City finalizes the signage and other regulations required by law.